Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The 1st Annual 2013-14 SNE Snowfall Contest!

Welcome to the first annual SNE Snowfall Contest! Partly because of the Golden Snow Globe, I've decided to make my own fun contest for Southern New England and see which city or town comes out on top and takes the SNE crown! In preparation, I've complied a large list of 175 stations located in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island and plan on collecting seasonal snowfall data from various sources such as NWS, iembot, Accuweather, CoCoRaHS, and also through viewers as well! (Mention me on Twitter if you want your location to be added.) Seasonal snowfall are going to be updated frequently. The season runs from the first snowfall to the last. Every tenth of an inch of snow counts! The following details how this contest runs:


TITLES


Besides the top prize for the town with the highest snowfall, there will be separate "titles" to compete for: highest snowfall from each state (Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island), highest snowfall in Western MA, and highest snowfall from the five primary climo stations in SNE (BOS, ORH, BDL, PVD, and BDR). Up-to-date standings can be seen on the left side of the site.

Miscellaneous stats such as the location with the highest daily snowfall for the whole season or the highest snowfall for each month will be recognized on the first day of the month of each daily update. After the last snowfall and season ends, a complete summary of everything will be made available.


GUIDELINES

  • The list is not final by any means and probably will never be! New stations will be added as I encounter them. Also, stations that don't consistently report back snowfall totals are subject for removal by my discretion.
  • All data will be quality checked for accuracy. I don't want bad numbers!
  • You may notice some locations have multiple stations. In finding out which town places where, the HIGHEST total is counted in the results. No chance of say, Falmouth, sweeping the top 6 positions lol.
  • I plan on sharing the spreadsheets I use to enter data once I add in all 175 cities so everyone can look back at past daily totals. I will have them up by this weekend and they will be included in this post. Check back later!


THE LIST AND MAP


Here's the list and map of the 175 cities and towns used to tabulated the results. They are ever-changing and will be constantly updated. A spreadsheet with up-to-date totals will be added once I add in every city.

(MAP KEY: Orange - CoCoRaHS stations, Blue - COOP stations, Red - ASOS stations, Green - User-contributed)




CONCLUSION


I'm sure I'm not the only one excited for the upcoming winter. Looking forward to crunching the data! Good luck contestants and may the snow be with you!

P.S. Rooting for Amherst! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I would root for East Bridgewater if I were on the map! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Anthony is doing West Bridgewater. You can root for him!

      Delete